Merry Main Street will bring thousands of holiday revelers to downtown Mesa Nov. 25 through Jan. 1. The festivities begin with a program and tree lighting ceremony tomorrow, Nov. 25, at 5:45 p.m.
Merry Main Street will feature the Winter Wonderland Ice Rink, which attracted more than 10,000 skaters last year, plus Santa’s Selfie Village, the Jack Frost Food Truck Forest, musical performances and more.
This is the second year for Merry Main Street in its current form. The original Merry Main Street began in 1998 as a winter holiday festival. In 2005, the city was forced to end the annual event due to budget challenges and businesses unable to bear the financial burden, according to city officials.
“I am so happy that Mayor Giles and the Mesa City Council and staff brought Merry Main Street back last year,” said Sally Harrison, president and CEO of the Mesa Chamber of Commerce. “Walking around downtown Mesa during the holidays last year was festive, but more than that, it was exciting to see people in downtown Mesa, shopping, eating and enjoying the businesses on Main Street. I look forward to the lighting of the Chamber’s Christmas Tree this Friday and the activity that Merry Main Street will bring over the next few weeks.”
- Merry Main Street tree lighting ceremony and the arrival of Santa Claus on an antique fire truck during a brief program Nov. 25 at 5:45 p.m. at Main Street and Macdonald. Enjoy an evening of music, food and fun throughout downtown Mesa from 5 to 10 p.m.
- Winter Wonderland Ice Rink. Downtown Mesa will again feature a 4,500-square-foot ice skating rink that will be open daily for thousands to enjoy our winter weather while skating under the stars. Purchase tickets at the rink or online at www.merrymainst.com.
- Mesa’s Christmas Tree. Merry Main Street would not be complete without a giant Christmas tree complete with lights and ornaments. The nearly four-story-tall tree will be located on Macdonald at Main Street. Santa will be there on select days.
- Santa’s sELFie Village. New this year, take a moment to create a special holiday card photo at the holiday tree or one of the other Santa sELFie stations that will be located near it.
- Start (or end) your journey along Merry Main Street at Jack Frost’s Food Truck Forest at Pioneer Park. This is at the end of the light rail line and across the street from the festive Mesa Temple Christmas lights.
- Holiday Happenings at the Mesa Arts Center comes alive. Purchase tickets to a Performing Live! show or enjoy other holiday events like the Mesa Arts Festival, spark! After Dark and traditional Christmas and other holiday songs at the outdoor Alliance Pavilion. Visit www.mesaartscenter.com for details and tickets.
For a complete list of Merry Main Street activities, including dates and times, visit www.merrymainst.com.
In addition to Merry Main Street, there is the annual Mesa Arizona Temple Christmas light display Nov. 25 through Dec. 31. Thousands of lights will adorn the Temple grounds including a star of 10,000 twinkling lights.
Merry Main Express – Free Fare Zone means you can ride the light rail for free during Merry Main Street between Country Club Drive and Mesa Drive from 5 to 10 p.m. on the following weekends:
- Nov. 25-26
- Dec. 2-3
- Dec. 9-10
- Dec. 16-17
There is also a large park-and-ride at the northeast corner of Main Street and Mesa Drive.
Free parking is available in all open lots and on-street parking areas throughout downtown Mesa.
“Merry Main Street is one of my favorite events in downtown Mesa,” Mayor John Giles said. “From lighting the tree and ice skating to food trucks and live music, Merry Main Street is a great way to kick off the holiday season.”