The need is greater than ever for Mesa’s most vulnerable citizens. The ABC: A Better Community program needs donations for the holiday season and into the new year. Donating before the end of the year allows you to take a charitable contribution donation on your 2016 tax return.
ABC: A Better Community provides shelter, meals and other essential services to Mesa children, families and seniors in need. For the 2016/17 fiscal year, the city has allocated $108,000 in ABC grant money to four non-profit agencies:
- American Red Cross – local disaster relief for Mesa residents (temporary housing, food, clothing, medication).
- Mesa Community Action Network (MesaCAN) – family stability services (emergency financial assistance for the working poor in Mesa).
- East Valley Adult Resources – assistance for independent living (transportation, grocery shopping and various at-home support for homebound older adults). Funding is also provided for Meals on Wheels (daily meals delivered to the homebound elderly).
- Oakwood Creative Care – therapy and meals (day services such as meals and activities for those with Alzheimer’s, Dementia and other cognitive illnesses).
Contributions to the ABC fund helped Mesa non-profit organizations provide the following services during the 2015/16 fiscal year:
- Supplied approximately 86,000 meals to 7,100 clients.
- Provided civil legal services to 214 low-income Mesa residents, with a direct impact on 549 family/household members.
- Assisted 201 clients with employment resources; online classes/computer skill classes and parenting, literacy and financial classes.
Donating to ABC has never been easier. City utility customers can contribute by automatically donating money with their monthly utility bill payment. Visit www.mesaaz.gov/abc to enroll. You can also enroll by calling city of Mesa Customer Service at 480-644-2221. This allows you to add a donation of $5 per month or any amount of your choice. You can also round up on the dollar on your utility bill or contribute a one-time amount.
“When I see that little contribution on my bill each month, I get a great feeling. I’m part of this group of people who are helping make our community one we can be proud of,” Mesa resident Betty Austin said.
If you are not a utility customer, you can still donate and claim the tax deduction. Just send a check to City of Mesa Customer Service, P.O. Box 1466, Mesa, AZ 85211-1466 and write “ABC: A Better Community” in the memo area.