Donations to the ABC: A Better Community utility donation program aids Mesa residents in need and are tax deductible. Donating before the end of the year allows you to take a charitable contribution donation on your 2017 tax return.
ABC: A Better Community provides shelter, meals and other essential services to Mesa children, families and seniors in need. For the 2017/18 fiscal year, the city has allocated $108,000 in ABC grant money to six non-profit agencies:
- East Valley Adult Resources for Meals on Wheels.
- Boys and Girls Club of the East Valley for its Elevating Mesa’s Youth Program.
- Paz de Cristo Community Center for its Employment Opportunity Program.
- Child Crisis Arizona for the Family Education Services.
- Valley of the Sun YMCA for the Mesa Family YMCA Diversion Class.
- Teen Lifeline for the Crisis Hotline.
Contributions to the ABC fund helped Mesa non-profit organizations provide the following services during the 2016/17 fiscal year:
- Assisted 56 households with rental assistance to stop evictions.
- Made 484 utility payments to avoid disconnections.
- Served 83 clients with maintaining and/or increasing their cognitive, social, physical health, as well as their overall well-being.
- Delivered 58,770 meals to 452 Mesa residents (five days per week).
- Served 94 individual clients with 2,395 hours of services, such as transportation for grocery shopping and pharmacy trips, visual assistance, visits and calls, and senior companionship.
- Assisted 30 families, consisting of 82 individuals, with assistance during various disaster incidents, with food, clothing, shelter, household and health related items, and financial assistance.
Donating to ABC has never been easier. City utility customers can contribute by automatically donating money with their monthly utility bill payment. Visit www.mesaaz.gov/abc to enroll. You can also enroll by calling Mesa Customer Service at 480-644-2221. This allows you to add a donation of $5 per month or any amount of your choice. You can also round up on the dollar on your utility bill or contribute a one-time amount.
If you are not a utility customer, you can still donate and claim the tax deduction. Just send a check to City of Mesa Customer Service, P.O. Box 1466, Mesa, AZ 85211-1466 and write “ABC: A Better Community” in the memo area.