Welcome to the PHX East Valley—a region with approximately 400,000 residents 30 years ago, 1.4 million residents now, and another million on the way.
In support of promoting our region, each year we compile and publish an Economic Profile. This year, we introduced a new component which is a Regional Asset Map highlighting the businesses and organizations that make up the PHX East Valley—public and private businesses, local businesses, nonprofits and other community assets.
With the Economic Profile and Asset Map, comes a simple message to share: where we live is a great place to receive a quality education, experience excellent career opportunities, raise a family, enjoy single living and retire. Also, we usually tend to note that here in Arizona we have over 300 sunny days a year with an average winter temperature of 68 degrees.
Key highlights found within the Economic Profile include:
- Mesa known as a “Best Big City” in the Southwest.
- Gilbert ranked as one of the safest cities to build your startup.
- Chandler noted as the Seventh Hardest-Working City.
- Apache Junction is a top place to retire.
- Tempe is home to the Seventh Best Downtown.
- Queen Creek identified as a top place for young professionals.
And when a business outside of Arizona considers our region, they observe several key advantages which include:
- Business costs are approximately 40 percent lower than those of neighboring California.
- 32 million square feet of shovel ready property is available.
- Corporate income taxes are low as well as individual income taxes.
- Compared to neighboring states, cost of living is lower, utility rates are lower, and median household income is higher.
As a region, we have a reputation for having a highly educated and skilled workforce. Studies show that within the next 30 years, the PHX East Valley will be home to another million residents and 400,000 new jobs. This is exciting as our region is home to the “Nation’s Most Innovative University” Arizona State University, along with many other outstanding higher-education institutions preparing our workforce of tomorrow.
So as an ambassador for our region, here is our quick elevator speech: the PHX East Valley is a dynamic region of the southwestern United States that has experienced tremendous growth; through thoughtful planning and collaboration we have a vibrate economy with regional assets such as a highly skilled workforce, robust infrastructure, world class education, diverse real estate and ideal climate.
We invite you to study the PHX East Valley Economic Profile and Asset Map and continue your service as regional ambassadors in promoting our region.
– John Lewis is president/CEO of the East Valley Partnership, a regional coalition of business, education, community and government leaders located in Mesa.