Steward Health Care System LLC (Steward) has completed a previously announced agreement to merge operations with IASIS Healthcare LLC (IASIS). As the sole operator of the newly merged company, Steward will oversee 36 individual hospitals across 10 states – including four hospitals in Arizona. In addition, Steward has managed care operations in Arizona, Utah and Massachusetts, and projected revenues of almost $8 billion in 2018, the first full-year of the consolidated company. Steward is now the largest private hospital operator in the U.S. with approximately 37,000 employees, 1,400 employed physicians, and 4,700 integrated network physicians.
“This merger enables Steward to expand our successful, physician-led model that keeps patients healthy and close to home,” said Dr. Ralph de la Torre, chairman and CEO of Steward Health Care. “We look forward to introducing patients, physicians, and employees throughout Arizona to our high-quality care, innovative programs, and community commitment.”
Steward assumes operations at four Arizona hospitals: Mountain Vista Medical Center in Mesa, St. Luke’s Medical Center and St. Luke’s Behavioral Health Center in Phoenix, and Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital in Tempe. Steward doctors and staff deliver nationally-recognized hospital care focused on quality and safety, prioritizing preventative health to minimize acute care and lower costs. The company is committed to strengthening the health and well-being of the Arizona communities these hospitals serve through innovative programs.
Steward now owns and operates a number of related businesses including a managed risk platform, Health Choice, which delivers managed care and health insurance services to more than 680,000 covered lives. The total number of covered lives within Steward’s integrated care network and these insurance products is more than 1.1 million, with paneled lives estimated at 2.5 million.
The 18 hospitals joining Steward Health Care are:
- Mountain Vista Medical Center (Mesa)
- St. Luke’s Behavioral Health Center (Phoenix)
- St. Luke’s Medical Center (Phoenix)
- Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital (Tempe)
- Wadley Regional Medical Center at Hope (Hope)
- Pikes Peak Regional Hospital (Woodland Park)
- Glenwood Regional Medical Center (West Monroe)
- The Medical Center of Southeast Texas (Port Arthur)
- The Medical Center of Southeast Texas – Victory Campus (Beaumont)
- Odessa Regional Medical Center (Odessa)
- Southwest General Hospital (San Antonio)
- St. Joseph Medical Center (Houston)
- Wadley Regional Medical Center (Texarkana)
- Davis Hospital and Medical Center (Layton)
- Jordan Valley Medical Center (West Jordan)
- Jordan Valley Medical Center – West Valley Campus (West Valley City)
- Mountain Point Medical Center (Lehi)
- Salt Lake Regional Medical Center (Salt Lake City)
Several of the hospitals joining Steward operate in partnership with physician owners.
The IASIS/Steward merger complied with normal regulatory approvals and adherence to closing conditions.
Additional information is available at www.steward.org.