The city of Mesa Housing Authority will be accepting pre-applications for the tenant-based Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program online from Tuesday, Oct. 11 at 10 a.m. through Thursday, Oct.13 at 5 p.m. This will be a fully web-based pre-application process. The application is located at www.mesaaz.gov/hcvwaitlist.
“Mesa last opened the wait list in 2013 as an online process and it went very smoothly. Online is more convenient and this eliminates having to wait in long lines,” said Liz Morales, Mesa’s housing and community-development director. “This year we anticipate receiving between 4,000 to 5,000 applications, with average wait time of about 22 months (for a placement).”
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), provides rental assistance to low income families by contracting with private owners and subsidizing a portion of the family’s monthly rent. The family’s portion of the rent is based on their income and generally amounts to no more than 30 percent of their adjusted monthly income on rent, depending on the cost of the unit they select. Applicants are subject to all regulations and policies of the Mesa Housing Authority.
“This is a great federal program and we’re happy to take advantage of it,” Mesa Mayor John Giles said. “Any federal money available we want to take advantage of and this is a popular program so we need to make sure we promote it because it is limited and not everyone who wants to take advantage of it will be able to.”
Applications can be completed on any computer, tablet or smartphone with Internet access, including free computer access at the following locations:
- Mesa Public Library, Main Library, 64 E. 1st St., 10 a.m.–8 p.m.
- Mesa Public Library, Dobson Ranch, 2425 S. Dobson Road, 10 a.m.–8 p.m.
- Mesa Public Library, Red Mountain, 635 N. Power Road, 10 a.m.–8 p.m.
- Mesa Express Library, Power Square Mall, 2055 S. Power Road, 10 a.m.–8 p.m.
- DES (Department of Economic Security) Mesa Office, Sunshine Room, 120 W. 1st Ave., 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Goodwill Career Center at A New Leaf, 635 E. Broadway Road, 9 a.m.–5 p. m.
- Paz de Cristo, 424 W. Broadway Road, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday.
City of Mesa Housing staff will be available at these locations Tuesday, Oct. 11 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. to assist with submitting applications. Public computers are not available at the Mesa Housing Authority Office.
Applicants will need Social Security numbers for all family members, if applicable; birth dates for all family members; total gross annual income from all sources, including income of all family members in total and paper and pen to write the confirmation number.
For accommodations such as braille, large print, or translation, contact Mary Brandon at the city of Mesa Housing Authority, 480-644-5852 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or AzRelay 7-1-1 for those who are deaf or hard of hearing.
– Kelly Mixer is managing editor of MyNewsMesa.com. Reach her at email@example.com.